Thursday 24 August 2017

graduate admissions - Waiting until MS thesis is Published before applying to PhD?


I was wondering if it would be a good Idea for me to wait until after my MS program is completed and my thesis is published before applying to a PhD program. There is no chance of me publishing my thesis before the December/January deadline of the fall 2013-14 admissions cycle as I am only 2 semesters into my program and the project I am doing doesn't necessarily move as fast as other projects.


Its important to note that I have NO publications at this point, but I do have two presentations at international conferences. Also, my ugrad Gpa was slightly higher than a 3.0... and my Masters GPA is a 3.7. I'm also in the Geosciences, if that matters


So with all that in mind, would it be a good Idea to wait until that publication comes in before applying to PhD ?



Answer



No.


Why rob yourself of potential opportunities? Your chances of admission might be less than if you had a publication, but they're certainly bigger than if you don't apply at all. If you aren't admitted anywhere, you can always apply again next year, after your thesis is done.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...