Sunday 20 August 2017

job - Is doing a PhD just for the university requirement is a good idea?


I have an MSc degree and I work at university as a lecturer. However, the university has a policy where you should do your PhD within a given time frame. The problem is that I'm not interested in any area yet, nor am I interested in doing the work associated with a PhD.


Should I just go with it because the university forces me to do it, or should I just quit from the university and look for another job?


What do you think? Can I succeed if I start doing my PhD while i feel that I'm forced to do it?



Answer



In my university back in Mexico, they had something similar, if professors want to get ahead (income, professional, etc) they had to an additional degree (Masters, PhD)


I think that if you do not have the motivation, you'll have a lot of problems, doing a PhD is already a taxing endeavor, in the sense that many times you'll start wondering wether this was a good idea or not.


As in many things in life, if you do this because you are made to (like students that go to college because their parents want to) you'll have lots of resentment.


However, not all is lost, you can try looking for something you are really passionate about, and then try to do a PhD on that.



No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...