Thursday 16 February 2017

phd - Why do many graduate programs in mathematics (United States) still have foreign language requirements today (in 2010s)?


As far as I know, nowadays most of the mathematical literature is written and published in English and mathematicians communicate with each other in English. Although there are certain number of books written in other languages (like EGA), but at the same time their counterparts also appear in English (like Stacks Project). However, many graduate programs still require their students to pass a language translation test in French, German or Russian (which a paper dictionary, not a dictionary app in cellphones, which seems even more ridiculous to me...). I wonder what makes it still necessary to have foreign language requirement as of 2010s.


I believe my question has different focus than this one


Mathematics Ph.D program foreign language requirement


Where the questioner specifically asked for advice for the most useful language among French, German and Russian:


I personally have no preference on which to learn, but I was wondering if there were other reasons that would make one language more advantageous over the others in terms of a general mathematical career.


while I am asking why we ever need a second language for mathematical study in 2010s:




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...