Tuesday 21 February 2017

Is there any appropriate way to offer cash to a lecturer or TA for private tutoring?


Due to financial issues, I've had to work in order to support myself alongside my degree, and unfortunately due to work obligations I've had to miss some lectures and classes. Due to not spending much time at the university, I also don't have many friends who would be willing to help me catch up.


Would it be appropriate in any way to ask the lecturer or the class TA to help me on a 1-on-1 basis? I think I've managed to fall behind sufficiently far that I would need several hours of help to catch up -- could I possibly suggest to the professor that I can offer you £50/hour for your time? I don't want it to be construed as bribery or anything inappropriate -- I just want to pay the person fairly for his/her time.


Is there an appropriate way to do this? I know that in my high school some students paid teachers for 1-on-1 tutoring, but I'm not sure how it works in university?


For context, I'm in the United Kingdom, I'm doing a master's degree, and the end-of-term examinations are administered anonymously (i.e. the person grading does not know whose paper he/she is grading).




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...