Wednesday 22 February 2017

graduate school - Does your Alma Mater and U.S. News Rankings Really Affect Future Job Opportunities?


I'm in the process of trying to decide on which graduate program to attend. I am pursuing a Master's level degree in Computer Science in hopes of furthering my web development career. I would love to be able to teach web development/programming at a community college someday after getting a few more years of industry experience (teaching requires at least a Master's degree). Previously I taught secondary science before transitioning into web development.


I've been accepted to the following programs:


Boston University - Master's in Computer Information Systems / Web Application Development (U.S. News ranked #51 nationally)


Brandeis University - Master's of Software Engineering (U.S. News ranked #31 nationally)


University of Bridgeport - Master's of Computer Science (not ranked nationally)


I keep going back and forth in regards to which program I should choose. University of Bridgeport seems to have a good curriculum and it looks like it will be cheaper (I may get a scholarship), but I'm concerned that it's not viewed as a "top" school. I would be happy to pay for a more expensive school if it helped provide greater opportunities in the future.


Do you find that going to a "better" school has affected your resume to the point that you may have more teaching opportunities after school? I realize that a certain school won't earn me the actual position, but having a highly regarded school on my resume MAY lead me to getting more interviews. Any insights are greatly appreciated.


Thanks and have a good day.





No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...