Monday 27 February 2017

graduate admissions - Should I mention a professor's name in my SOP for MSc if the professor is only taking PhDs?


Some facts:





  • I am applying for a Master's program in Computer Science at a university in US.




  • My research interests exactly match with the professor's.



  • I am applying to the university because of the professor.

  • The professor is only taking PhD/PostDoc students in his group.


  • He has just joined after completing his PostDoc and there is no information on the website if he will take any courses.





  • Chances of directly doing a PhD with him are very less based on my profile.




The problem:


I understand that whether or not I should write his name or mention some of his work depends on if he will be able to advise me during the program which is exactly what I do not know.




  • Can having discussions with him during his office hours be a good enough primary reason to study there?





  • What could be the possible reasons that a professor is not taking any Master's student? Is there a good chance that if I get an admit, my regular interaction with him, interest, and work will make him take me in his group with PhDs?






No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...