Wednesday 15 June 2016

phd - Applying for a new doctoral program after expulsion


I am not prepared to give many details in a public forum - as such this posting will contain intentional generalizations that may be of interest to academia.se's research higher studies community help, in particular senior faculty members, if any.


I would like to ask for help in figuring out if there would be a pathway to return to the pursuit of a terminal degree sometime 2020++ in a field related to my accumulated research work and career credentials with publications and products. At present I have a major blemish in my overall academic record at my last institution based upon an off-campus incident several years ago which ended in a sentence in a felony case. At the time of my projected return as a doctoral candidate, the faculty committee recommended suspension, and the admin decided on termination after it became clear I had failed to report it per student policy. Elsewhere on Stack Exch. I have already described the good that came out of that research, and that chapter of my life is now finished.


Can I ask the community if there is any practical chance of pursuing a doctoral program again? If so, When could I approach that, and at what stage should I broach the subject to a new institution?


Thank you.


Added:



  1. This is a US academic industry question, but I would think my research area would be useful for academic institutions of major space faring nations.

  2. My felony is for a offense not related to any workplace or academic setting.


  3. I was in the middle of my doctoral program when the inquiry began. Over a year I was encouraged to continue by the judge(s) to try to conclude the program as fast as possible. I continued work for the institution throughout (I tried to quit after some discussion but was asked to remain while trial was underway and the outcome not known). A sentence was imposed with reduction of all charges save a single one, based upon the admissions I made and material I surrendered.

  4. After completing my sentence, When I attempted to return, I was found to have violated policy for the crime conducted away from campus but while a student, and also that I violated another policy as I had signed a form for a leave of absence using a made up reason to explain my projected absence, the day before I left to begin my short sentence. The ruling was split: faculty recommended suspension and admin recommended expulsion.



Answer



The felony itself shouldn't be a big problem. While university will often have rules that basically allow them to kick out students that commit crimes while in school, to my knowledge it is not common to ask incoming students about crimes they committed before starting school. To meaningfully screen for felons the university would need to require a criminal background check as part of the application, which is rarely asked for. Now some sources of financial aid may require that applicants have a clean record, but then again, some might not. In any case, you are asking about studying, not funding. Your former institution specifically might be committed to cut ties with you, so if you re-apply there perhaps they would not accept, but this is hardly an issue when there are hundreds of other universities you can go to.


However, wherever you end up applying, you will probably have to mention your past work. Whether you will be able to get away with only discussing your research work, and simply state that you were forced to abandon the program due to "personal issues", and if forced to elaborate, whether the committee there will be sympathetic to your situation, is impossible to predict. You will just have to try and see.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...