Saturday 4 June 2016

citations - How to substantiate the claim that something is not known?


I am writing a master's thesis (in Number Theory) and there are multiple places where I need to claim that something is not yet known. Since I am not an expert (and even if I were) I would like to reference some more authoritative source than myself or, say, Wikipedia.


For example, consider the following statement:



In 1980 Schmidt proved that [some property holds]. No other necessary or sufficient conditions are currently known, though.



For the first sentence I can cite Schmidt's original paper, but how can I substantiate the second claim?



Answer



One way, especially since you are not an expert of the field (and even if you were), is to not make such an absolute claim:




To the best of our knowledge, no other necessary or sufficient conditions are currently known.



At least in my field (robotics), this is quite common and I think an appreciated amount of humility.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...