Wednesday 29 June 2016

neuroscience - Is there a correlation between total neurons and intelligence?


Thanks for looking.


First off, I am not a biologist, just a curious layman, so I apologize in advance if this isn't a "good" question. Please don't downvote me into oblivion.



I read today that the human brain has about 100 billion neurons and that got me wondering: is that number pretty standard for everyone or does someone like say, Einstein, have many more neurons than this daft poster.



Is there a correlation between total neuron count and intelligence, or does intelligence depend more on the way neurons are used--or some other factor like previous experience--rather than their total count?



There are two very valid points-of-view posted as answers below, but it sounds like we simply don't have a solid answer to this question at this point in time, so I hesitate to select a "correct" answer.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...