Friday 19 February 2016

research process - What are acceptable criteria to select publications for a (systematic) review?



I'm in the very beginning of my scientific career, so I don't yet know the standards for (systematic) reviews very well. I feel I don't have so much experience that I could publish my own research in good journals (I have now just two conference papers), so I'm considering to pay close attention for 6-12 months in other peoples' works.


I have a clear research question, but given the massive amount of related papers it's difficult to choose which ones to pick. Of course, I will select papers related to my research question as the first criteria. However, could I narrow the range of included papers more by



  • publication date (e.g. only take papers published during the past five years),

  • impact factor or citation count,

  • type of publication (conference, journal),

  • sample size (e.g. number of subjects)?


Or, if not these, what criteria are commonly used? I guess the answer is different for reviews and systematic reviews, so please cover both if possible. thank you!


EDIT: I'm considering this so that it would be possible to try publish my results.





No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...