Friday 11 December 2015

species identification - Is this tall, white tree in central Australia a kind of Eucalyptus?



This is near Alice Springs NT, Australia, about -24°S latitude, 550m. Area is arid but it's in a maintained park.


I don't know the exact size, but the photo is hand-held from the ground and clearly the tree is quite tall.


I only have this one photo to work with (it's not mine). I've added some cropped sections of the same original image below for easier viewing.


It reminded me of the tree I saw in the linked video below, which is likely a Eucalyptus considering the koala context.


I don't need an exact species, just confirmation of my genus hunch.


Oh! No koalas were seen in the tree eating leaves at the time, which would have made a "differential diagnosis" easer.


eucalyptus tree?


eucalyptus tree?


eucalyptus tree?


From Koala Bears and Eucalyptus - Periodic Table of Videos at about 02:10 (Sir Poliakoff reminds us a few times in the video (himself as well) that koalas are not "bears"!)



eucalyptus tree?



Answer



This is Eucalyptus apodophylla, the so called whitebark.


Further information can be found here


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...