Friday 18 December 2015

ecosystem - What are the branches of system ecology?


What are the branches of system ecology that scientists research in nowadays? Or what can system ecology can applied to, or be used?


I have read its Wikipedia page, but sadly it doesn't answer my question. The most relevant section of it is the "Closely related fields", but again, it doesn't answer my question directly.


From what I understand, system ecology is a sub-field of theoretical ecology. It uses thermodynamic in physics to explain a biological system, with the help of network thinking and some technique of visualization. I have presented this in detail what I understand on my website.



Related: How is the Energy Systems Language used in ecology?



Answer




What are the branches of system ecology that scientists research in nowadays? Or what can system ecology can applied to, or be used?




This field is often referred to as systems ecology or ecosystem ecology. It is the study of ecosystems. Thermodynamic principles are often used to construct food/system webs (networks) to understand cause and effect within the system. But I think systems ecology can be considered beyond just a numerical approach to include social (human) dynamics.


A great primer for systems ecology is that by Howard T. Odum:


Odum, Howard T. "Systems Ecology; an introduction." (1983).



I have presented this in detail what I understand on my website.



After reading the post on your website I have some recommendations for complex systems science groups/hubs in which you can look for potential mentors/collaborators/ideas:



  1. International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA; Austria)


  2. Santa Fe Insitute (US)

  3. National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC; US)


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...