Tuesday 22 December 2015

mathematics - Career prospects for a Math PhD student in pure math?


I have scoured the internet and everyone seems to be saying different things. These range from




  • "You will have no problem getting a job in quant/finance etc", to

  • "You are in a hopeless situation and are completely unemployable"


Consider the following situation:



  • I am at a PhD student at a mid-20s US institution studying pure math

  • I have very limited programming skills

  • I am an Australian national and want to live in Australia long term.



I am not overly optimistic about my future career prospects. Since I am near the beginning I thought I better think about this now rather than 5-6 years down the track.


Question: Is it likely that I'll be able to find a reasonably well-paid, stable job after graduation (even outside of academia)? Are there things I can do now to improve my chances (beyond "trying hard")? Would I be better off doing another masters in computer science or machine learning back in Australia instead of this PhD in pure math?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...