Sunday 5 May 2019

publications - If I saw a research result similar to mine from my PC/editing duties, should and how should I contact the authors?


It happened many times that I saw a paper submitted to a conference where I am on the PC, or a journal where I am editing, and such paper had something similar to what I am working on. The situation is worse when I already have something better.


Of course I should declare a conflict of interest and should let others handle the paper. But I always wonder whether I should contact the authors.




  • If I don't contact the authors, they might doubt the independence of my paper from theirs when I publish my paper (since my name is shown in the conference/journal they submitted their paper to). This will be worse if their paper was not published at that point (perhaps it got rejected several times).

  • If I do contact the them, they may feel that I push them to do something they don't want to, such as making their paper public or collaborating with me.


There are more pros and cons, but I will stop here to keep the question short.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...