Wednesday 22 May 2019

publications - How do I go about publishing a paper without a university affiliation?


I graduated with a B.S. degree and I have been working in industry for a few years as a software engineer. I am very interested in reinforcement learning, a sub-field of machine learning, and I am interested in performing research and publishing a paper on that topic.


The problem is, in my city there are no professors working in this field (or related fields) who could help me. I contacted other professors in different cities and they rejected my help request for a variety of reasons (such as I am not their student, they don't know me, they are busy, etc.).


Still, I want to perform research and publish a paper. I can't attend school as a full time student and my collaboration requests were not successful. Given all that, how can I publish by myself?



  1. How to choose a research topic?

  2. Should I read all the papers on this field?

  3. How to decide which problem to work on or which is not obsolete? I don't want to work on something which no one is interested in.


  4. Should I read and study all the prerequisite material, or fill in the gaps during research efforts?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...