Friday 17 May 2019

thesis - Is it normal to submit an abstract to a conference when the research is NOT completed?


I just started my 2nd semester of my part-time master, I was given a thesis topic last week and expected to submit an abstract this week. Because advisor told me -> I would have not choice. However, I just wonder: Is it normal to submit an abstract to a conference when the research is NOT completed? Or people normally completed the research then write the abstract?


I read a topic asking about how to write an abstract without having the result How to write abstract for conference when you have no results yet? So I have basic understanding of what I should not write in my abstract.



Answer




Is it normal to submit an abstract to a conference when the research is NOT completed?



Sure. There are plenty of fields where the purpose of a conference is to discuss research that is "still cooking." In fact, many journal publications can be viewed as interim reports on larger research programs that are still in progress.


You might use this opportunity to set a goal for (roughly) the piece of your thesis you want to have done by the date of the conference. It's ok if that piece is relatively small, and nobody at the conference will hold you strictly to what you say in the abstract.



In fact, some people submit abstracts on one thing and then talk about something entirely different... I won't advocate that behavior as an intentional strategy, but I will say that many people (myself included) prefer a great talk to exacting consistency with the abstract.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...