Tuesday 7 May 2019

funding - First sentence of a research proposal


I am writing a research proposal and I can not choose the right very first sentence to start the introduction. My research is purely theoretical. Let's assume I want to study a mathematical model of dynamics of wolfpacks distribution in last 100 years in country C. There is a separate section for objectives so I would not start from aims.


What would you write to start?


I have several ideas but neither of them looks totally convincing for me.



  1. Wolves are very important

  2. Wolfpacks distribution is very important


  3. Wolfpacks distribution dynamics is very important

  4. Analysis of ecological data is important

  5. In recent years study of wolves/wolfspack distribution/wolfpacks distribution dynamics has received much attention

  6. Many problems of something are related to wolfpacks distribution dynamics

  7. Mathematical modelling of ecological processes has been proved to be useful in analysis of many things over years.


If I were writing a paper I would not care much about it but here people say, that the first words are of particular important and I don't want loose points.


EDIT: As question got popular and everybody wants to correct my orthographic error in "wolfs", I correct it myself.



Answer



The first paragraph of any paper or proposal is always the hardest for me to write, and the first sentence is the hardest part of that paragraph. In my experience, no matter what I write, it sounds hackneyed; fortunately, the same is true of everybody else's first sentences, including all of the sentences you and other other answers have suggested. I used to spend days agonizing over the precise choice of words in each opening sentence.



So a few years ago, I adopted the following strategy, which works surprisingly well:




  1. Typeset the phrase INSERT FIRST GRAF HERE in bold red 18-point text at the top of the first page of your proposal. Promise yourself that you will write this paragraph only at the very end, after you've written and polished everything else.




  2. Start writing the second paragraph, which explains in broad strokes the substance of your proposed research. Assume that the first paragraph has already explained how novel/important/cool the research area is.




  3. Make sure your introduction includes a few paragraphs describing specific prior work and its impact, as well as the specific work you are proposing and its potential impact. Keep it high-level; this is just the elevator pitch. You'll include a more detailed description of both of these points later.





  4. When you are completely finished writing and polishing the rest of the proposal, delete the phrase INSERT FIRST GRAF HERE from the top of the first page and submit the proposal.




Yes, I really have done this, multiple times; and yes, the resulting proposals were funded.


To put it more bluntly: Just get to the point.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...