Monday 10 December 2018

publications - Changing mailing and e-mail addresses as corresponding author--which to include?


I finished my undergrad last year and have since been working in the private sector. I'm about to submit a paper with my senior thesis results. Two questions about corresponding author information:




  1. I'm listing my current affiliation in the private sector for various reasons. We are moving offices, and our address will be changing in about 3 months. Should I use the new mailing address or the old mailing address? I know it's kind of silly since nobody sends mail anymore, but I'm curious either way.




  2. I will probably be going to grad school in a couple of years, and my private sector e-mail will not be accessible if I leave. Would it be passé for me to list my @gmail.com address for correspondence to ensure I'm always reachable?





Thanks!



Answer





  1. I agree with you and shan23, it doesn't really matter, but the newer is probably better.




  2. Well, to be bluntly honest, I tend to have a negative a-priori when I see an author of a paper with a gmail address (especially when I review it, when it's not double-blind). I know it's stupid, because it should only be about the quality of the work, but I can't really help it. Mostly because I know that there is no authentication with gmail address (I potentially could get an alan.turing@gmail.com address). I think it's ok to give an address that will change, after all, few people spend their entire career in the same institution.





No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...