Wednesday 26 December 2018

blog - Pitfalls of Academic Blogging



I am a junior academic (just finishing a PhD in computer science) and I'm considering starting an academic blog. My reasons for starting a blog are:



  • Fun.

  • Improving my visibility.

  • The benefit of science.


… basically, the same reasons I publish papers. (In a sense, academic blogging, is just a 21st century form of academic communication to supplement journals and conferences.)


However, I also have concerns:



  • Maintaining an active blog takes a lot of time and effort. (i.e. it may stop being fun.)


  • Fear of failure - many blogs die. (Does an inactive blog look bad?)

  • Being a junior researcher, I worry that people will not care about my blog or, worse, disagree with what I say.


So I want to ask for advice from people who have (or had) an academic blog:


Is academic blogging a good idea?
Does it become too much effort?
Is it worthwhile?
How likely is blog-death?
In general, what are pitfalls to watch out for when starting an academic blog?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...