Monday 14 May 2018

To work in statistics for industry and research centers, is a masters sufficient or is there a major advantage to having a PhD?


So I am inquiring general tips from experienced individuals of academia and industry. I am a recent graduate from a top university with B.S. in math. I had goals of doing PhD in stats, but recently changed mind. I have a bit of family pressure to get a job and work to build income. I am from lower middle class, and am 30 years old. I've worked at a leading hospital and my boss encourages me to do a PhD.


However, it seems better to work full time at a company which will pay for the masters or some of it. My strategy is that at 33-35 years old, I would be working full time and working on a masters instead. Thus at this age I could have work experience, income, and a graduate degree.


It seems like an unwise choice to pursue a PhD and graduate at age 35-36 without work experience and having to start earning income.


My interests are to work in industry, and research centers. I do not believe PhDs would guarantee job security, higher wages, or happier careers. A masters would suffice. I argue that a PhD is not necessary.


Is my logic sensible? On a personal note, I am quite disenchanted/burned out with higher education.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...