Wednesday 23 May 2018

publications - Is h-index important? Can h-index be used to classify yourself to know whether you are at a given academic rank?


Of all the statistical factors that are used for judging publication record, the h-index seems to be the most commonly used


Wikipedia says



Hirsch suggested (with large error bars) that, for physicists, a value for h of about 12 might be typical for advancement to tenure (associate professor) at major research universities. A value of about 18 could mean a full professorship, 15–20 could mean a fellowship in the American Physical Society.



I am an organic chemistry with an h-index of 16. I assume physics should be similar to (organic) chemistry. I am now applying for a tenure-track position.
I mean to be overqualified for research funds, academic and scientific honors, etc.


Questions




  • How important is the Hirsch index (h-index)?

  • How much is the h-index really relied upon?

  • Can the h-index be used to categorize yourself?

  • Can I really set a goal that by reaching h-index 20, I am at the level of fellows of my professional society?

  • Can the h-index be used to indicate whether I am ahead of my rivals?

  • Can we claim something by h-index or is it just a number?

  • What should be the h-index of assistant/associate/full professor in chemistry to be a leader of his own rank?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...