Monday 28 May 2018

grading - How do teachers learn to grade?


I teach math with about two years of experience now. In general I have found that all the cliches about graduate school teaching you "how to research but not how to teach" are true. But I have also found many great resources (at my institution, online, in print, etc.) that are helping me, over time, work through my teaching deficits.


...in all things but grading.


I struggle with many grading decisions: from small things, like grading individual homework problems, all the way up to life-changing things like evaluating master's degree defenses. What I lack is a coherent philosophy of grading that might motivate my various grading policies/strategies/choices.


Interestingly, I have not found good resources for this. Yes, my institution provides a tiny bit of guidance, but it is very broad. This forum contains a hundred or so questions tagged with "grading", which is a good start, but I wonder if there are resources that provide a more cohesive treatment of the subject.


I want to hear about theories of grading. I want principles which flow naturally from the theories. I want applications and strategies which build on the principles. I want to hear different viewpoints on the issues so I can evaluate their relative strengths and weaknesses as I come to understand my own thoughts better. In short, I want it all.


Do any such resources exist? Can anyone point me in the right direction? If these don't exist, why not?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...