Thursday 22 February 2018

formatting - Is there a recommended font and size for a job application?


Is there a recommended font and size for academic job application? Usually I see Times New Roman being used with a 10 point font size for research papers, but I don't think that it is the best font and size for reading. Can I pick a font that I prefer, or is there some "best practices" that people expect and I should follow?



Answer



It really doesn't matter what font you choose, as long as it's not unprofessional. You can safely choose any font you might use for a research paper, 10 to 12 points in size (preferably 11 or 12, for the benefit of those with poor eyesight, but 10 is OK). It's not worth worrying about this too much. You can't help your chances through elegant typography, and the only way you can hurt them is if you do something ridiculous. Any effects on readability are probably small, and I don't think most hiring committee members have strong opinions on the matter (while the ones who do don't always agree).


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...