Thursday 4 January 2018

citations - Should I include a reference for an image that is released into the public domain?


I am writing my thesis and came across an image on Wikipedia that I would like to use. The licensing on this image is:



I, the copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In some countries this may not be legally possible; if so: I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.



Should I still include a reference to indicate this image is not my own work, if so, who should be given credit (the author is not known in this case)?




Answer




Should I still include a reference to indicate this image is not my own work



YES If the idea is not yours, you need to reference it.



Who should be given credit



That is a harder question. Ideally, you should find the original author/source. Given a reasonable attempt to find the original author/source fails then reference the secondary/reproduction (i.e., wikipedia/wikimedia).


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...