Saturday 13 January 2018

publications - What are the things one should consider when invited to contribute a book chapter?


What are the things one should consider, as a postdoc, before accepting or rejecting an invitation to contribute a book chapter? The proposed book is a handbook in a developing field of engineering.



Answer




When I get an invitation to contribute a book chapter (or conference paper in an invited session), I usually ask myself the following questions:



  1. Can I have a reasonable contribution ready for the proposed submission deadline?

  2. Is the venue I am invited to a good fit and does it provide the best possible visibility for my contribution?

  3. Do I want to invite the person inviting me to similar occasions in the future?


Ideally, you should be able to answer at least questions 1 and 2 with "yes" before accepting the invitation. If your answer to question 2 would be "no", it may still be wise to accept the invitation in view of question 3. For this type of invitations, I would try to find a smaller contribution which fits the visibility of the proposed publication venue. In a book chapter, for example a summarizing synthesis of some of your previous results might be appropriate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...