Friday 12 January 2018

teaching - Identifying students' purposes and institutions' purposes


I don't necessarily consider it a hardship to teach calculus or the like to students whose preparation in prerequisites is weak, but but I am offended by the practice of making it a personal policy to treat learning the material ONLY as a price paid to get a grade to put on one's resume, rather than as the thing they're there for.




  • I'm wondering how to identify instances of such behavior quickly when they occur.

  • How can one identify institutions that tolerate or encourage my position as outlined in my first paragraph above, and those that are hostile toward it? I think the latter---where that hostility may exist---often include respectable institutions in which lots of students want to get degrees in law or business or the like.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...