Monday 15 January 2018

graduate admissions - Career advice - Getting a Math PhD admit in a good program with computer engineering background


I have read other threads along similar lines but I am looking for slightly different advice. And I am posting this anonymously because I would rather my current employer did not find out my intentions!


So, I have a bachelors and a masters degree in computer engineering and currently work in one of the top microprocessor companies, which would otherwise be considered the "dream job" for someone with my degrees. However, every day I realize how much I miss Math and really want to go back and have an opportunity to work more with math, particularly in the field of numerical analysis, scientific computing, matrix algebra and the like.



Supporting factors -



  • I have always done well in math. I can get great recommendation letters from math professors I have taken courses with.

  • I am a CRLA level 3 certified math tutor. I used to be one when in undergrad.

  • I am preparing for Math GRE and am confident I can do well in it.

  • Good undergrad math and engineering GPA.

  • My masters thesis involved quite a bit of dealing with numbers, since I worked with various LINPACK benchmarks and linear algebra solvers.


Negative factors -




  • I am not from a very highly reputed school.

  • I have not published any papers, even though I did write a thesis for my MS in Computer Engineering.

  • My math courses are the basic math courses engineering students take, along with graduate level math courses in numerical analysis, scientific computing and the like.


How do I go about getting a PhD admit in a reputed Math graduate school? How do I begin to convince professors / hiring committees that I am capable of doing a PhD in Math? I am only looking at quitting my company and switching to PhD studies around either of Fall 2013 or Fall 2014, so I have time. What are some extra-curricular 'outside my day job' activities I can pursue that would further solidify my application in the meantime?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...