Friday 28 April 2017

research undergraduate - What are my chances of getting into an REU program?



I am currently trying to apply to 7 different environmental REU programs and was wondering what my chances of getting into one would be.


I am a current senior pursuing a B.S. in Environmental Science with minors in French and Environmental Toxicology and will be continuing my 5th year next year (I switched majors in Sophomore year). I go to North Carolina State University, a R1 university, my GPA is 3.92, and I am a female, Asian-American first-generation college student who comes from a low-income middle class family (close to my state's qualifications for the "poverty" line). I have experience as a research assistant who assisted with research on aquatic stressors on aquatic macroinvertebrates, and I won a research grant from my university to conduct environmental engineering research last year.


I am seeking to participate in an REU because I would like to pursue a PhD and would like to learn as much as I can through research experiences in preparation for grad school. Right now, I would like to experience research outside of my home institution since I would like to explore graduate school options and other kinds of environmental/aquatic research, and the living expenses being covered would be incredibly helpful for me since I nor my family would have no way of paying for my living expenses.



Unfortunately (or fortunately?), being at a R1 university and having had other previous research experiences, I am unsure as to how likely it would be for me to get accepted into an REU program. I understand that most of these programs seek underrepresented minorities from liberal arts or community colleges with little research experience, therefore I am seeking a realistic analysis on whether or not I can get accepted into an REU program. I was told by others that I should exclude the fact that I got a research grant, but I am unsure as to how to feel about fabricating the truth to make it seem as if I have had little research experience. I am at a loss for what to do, but I have to complete my personal statements by next Friday, and I am rather stressed about my odds of acceptance.


Any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated. Just as a heads up: there are unfortunately not many other REUs with research/themes specific to the field I am going into (Non-marine Aquatic chemistry/ecology), so that is why I am only applying to 7 programs. Most other environmental REU programs are focused on forestry, climate change, or marine & coastal sciences as far as I can tell.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...