Saturday 15 April 2017

citations - How to reference a work that I refer to on multiple occasions?


If I have taken an idea or quote from somewhere I will of course reference it properly.
However my question is every time I mention someone e.g 'Joe Bloggs said..." do I need to reference every time I mention that person if I have referenced him at least once?


Or if I say 'this proof is given by xyz book' if I have ready referenced xyz book do I need to reference it every-time I mention the name of the book?



Answer



In short: Yes. For every quote or idea that is not your own, this must be made clear to the reader. However, depending on the citation style, this does not always need to be in the form of “Joe Bloggs said” (which I have never seen in academic literature anyway), but may, e.g., just happen via a foot- or endnote.


If you are intensively quoting somebody or following another work, it may be feasible to have one sentence explaining to what a citation applies:



The following overview of discombobulation techniques is based on Bloggs et al. (1987).


Unless noted otherwise, all quotes in this section are from Bloggs et al. (1987). [this requires that quotes are visible as such]




This meets the above requirement.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...