Monday 24 April 2017

publications - Is copying an image from a previous paper of mine and citing its source considered self-plagiarism or unprofessional?


Last year, I wrote a paper and it got accepted and was presented at a conference.


This year, I am writing a more in-depth paper about a similar subject; but since one of the figures in my first paper is adequate for my purpose, I want to reuse that one (of course citing it adequately).


Am I OK in doing that, or is that seen as self-plagiarism or unprofessional?




Answer



There is such a thing as self-plagiarism, but I would say that your case (reusing a figure that you created and providing a citation to it) is not an instance of it. I also don't think it is unethical or unprofessional. As Ran G. says in his answer, just make sure you ask permission from the copyright holder (if it isn't you).


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...