Saturday 22 April 2017

computer science - Am I naive to think I can focus on professional programming and still be active in the field of CS as a whole?


I am working full time currently as a programmer in a summer internship. In the fall I will be continuing school and working part-time as a programmer.


I believe that I want to be a professional programmer and someday a software engineer.


However, I am very interested in all the areas of computer science that I have been studying. I hear occasionally about how some computer science majors end up being "just programmers" and not "computer scientists." There seems to be a common thought that becoming a programmer means that you give up the field as a whole and the possibility of contributing to the field.


I would like to be a professional programmer, but also a lifelong learner in the field of computer science. Am I naive to think this is possible?



Answer



I am a professional programmer with a PhD.



I have had a colleague, who was working as a programmer and continued even publishing in his unrelated field (chemical engineering/textiles), so if you are dedicated, it is even easier for you to do, since your area might be related, but still it is not a light undertaking. But if you can find a more research heavy R&D position in the industry, of course that would make it easier.


I am personally planning to teach adjunct classes, to keep me fresh about theoretical basis.


Hope my two cents helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...