Wednesday 2 March 2016

academic life - Is there "rampant anti-male bigotry" in academia, and if yes, how does it manifest?



In an answer to another question, a user mentioned "rampant anti-male bigotry in academia". This sounds strange to me; I am a male and in academia (mathematics), and have observed no such bigotry. In fact, I see plenty of males in positions of high authority (full professors, rectors, etc.), and the two sexual harassment cases with which I am somewhat familiar both targeted non-male researchers. So, given what I have experienced and what I know, the claim sounds implausible.


But maybe (as in much of feminist literature) there is some kind of structural issue that might be hard to see for someone who is part of the system.


Since this issue is likely to be controversial, please cite reliable sources for any factual claims in your answer.


That given: Is there "anti-male bigotry" in academia? If yes, how precisely does it affect a male researcher?


Related: How is sexism unknowingly perpetrated in academia?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...