Tuesday 15 March 2016

publications - Who Owns the Publishing Rights of my Ph.D. Thesis?


I wrote my Ph.D. thesis without copy/pasting any of my prior published articles. Now that the university library got hold of my Ph.D. thesis; I'm wondering who owns the entire publishing rights of my Ph.D. thesis?



Answer




Did you sign an agreement to transfer copyright to someone else?


Does your university policy (example) or employment contract specify that someone else holds the copyright to your thesis?


If the answer to both questions is "no" then you, as the author of the thesis, hold the copyright.


In the US, most university students retain the copyright for their thesis. Often they are required to grant the university and/or ProQuest a non-exclusive license to distribute the thesis, but without giving up copyright.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...