Monday 28 March 2016

teaching - What to do in recitation?


Forgive me if this is not the right place to ask pedagogical questions, but it seemed the most appropriate.


I am a TA for a programming/CS course. This is my first time teaching recitation and I'm not really sure what the best approach is. What I've been doing is covering what the professor asked me to, with a mix of lecturing (which I don't really like as I feel the students get enough of that) and me solving problems on the board with their help (which is OK but it's usually the same students answering the questions).


I can think of several different methods of recitation:



  • Lecturing (elucidating ideas or going over proofs)


  • Solving problems with the students

  • Having a class discussion, which sounds great, but coming up with discussion topics for this type of course is difficult, I feel

  • Having the students solve worksheets (which seems unnecessary considering they already have enough homework)

  • Or having them work together in groups to solve more difficult problems


Can anyone provide insight for which of these ideas are most effective?


Further information: It's a summer course, so the pace is pretty fast. Furthermore there are three recitations a week, each an hour and a half. It's the second CS course, so it's mostly programming (data structures and safe code) with a bit of theory thrown in.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...