Wednesday 30 March 2016

How does soap affect membrane permeability? Which component of the membrane does it affect?


In a lab we used distilled water + 3 drops of soap to examine how beetroot would be affected by it. I believe the beetroots membrane denatured and a red pigment leaked from it. However, I cannot explain why this has happened. Can anyone explain the topic question to me?



Answer



@mdperry answered well. If you need some diagrams to help with understanding, this article Should be helpful.


As you surmised, when you add detergent, it is lysing some cells of the beetroot that contain pigment. That pigment then gets released into solution. I've annotated the image below for the micelles that gets formed, except I spelled it wrong :/


enter image description here



No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...