Tuesday 16 October 2018

pharmacology - What hydrolyses aspirin within the digestive tract and blood stream?


I have had some further thoughts after my previous question regarding the buccal delivery of medication. The active compound in aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid or systematically 2-Acetoxybenzoic acid) is salicylic acid (2-hydroxybenzoic acid).


I understand that the hydrolysis reaction occurs as follows within the stomach - therefore in the body it is an acid hydrolysis:


Hydrolysis of aspirin


N.B. The H2O is not shown in the diagram.


However having done this experimentally I know that in the lab to ensure a decent yield of salicylic acid I had to reflux the solution for several hours. Yet the onset of action of aspirin tablets is much faster than this. To me this suggests some enzymatic activity, but I have no idea which enzyme this is likely to be.



To follow on directly from my previous question, if the aspirin is absorbed directly into the bloodstream bypassing the stomach then what causes the hydrolysis in the blood stream and is it the same factor that increases the rate of hydrolysis in the stomach if the medication were to be taken orally?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...