Wednesday 31 October 2018

biochemistry - What role does a protein's size have on protein-protein interactions?


Protein-protein interactions are when two or more proteins bind together, possibly for some important biological function. Recently, I'm starting to look more into proteins, and in particular, networks related to proteins, such as protein-protein interaction networks. I found myself thinking about the following question:




Question: Does the relative size of two proteins significantly affect how likely they are to interact? Does it affect how they interact?



It would be plausible for me to download a protein-protein interaction network, and calculate their relative size from the proteins' PDB files. However, I predict that the results from such a computation would not offer much insight into why (or why not) the protein sizes affect binding.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...