Saturday 13 October 2018

teaching - How to represent a tensor/matrix/vector/array in blackboard?



While teaching in the blackboard, I find it difficult to represent a vector/matrix/tensor. In latex, we represent $\mathbf{x}$. But, how do we represent it while writing in chalk? Is it okay to write an underlined variable $\underline{x}$ instead? What is the usual practice?


I think, avoiding the bold text might confuse the students.



Answer



The following are the notations I've seen most along the years (I don't think there's a winner).


Vectors:


Vectors


Matrices:



Matrices


In my experience, unadorned symbols are preferred by mathematicians; the arrow is preferred by physicists; and bar and underbar (and double underbar for matrices) are preferred by engineers.


Even though I don't have to write many vectors and matrices (in my classes I deal mainly with scalar quantities), I usually employ underbarred symbols for four reasons:



  1. Of course, I'm an engineer!

  2. A bar is faster to draw then an arrow.

  3. My handwriting is awful, and I think that simpler symbols improve readability; at the same time, though, I don't want to abandon the categorization of quantities through different symbols.

  4. The interpretation of underbar is frequently that of bold, and I prefer bold symbols for vectors over symbols with an arrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...