Monday 29 October 2018

publications - Writing homework essay anonymously to avoid controversy


I am attending a course at a neighboring institute purely out of interest. Neither credits, nor grading of any kind are involved.


As part of the course, we are required to work in pairs (assigned, not chosen) and write an essay on a controversial/contentious topic. My partner and I find ourselves on opposite sides of the debate.


On account of the controversial nature of the topic, its connection with my academic work and my own contributions to the field, I am not comfortable diluting my stand. However, compromise is inevitable in pairs/groups, and I realise the point of this exercise might be to reinforce exactly that.


Nevertheless, I don't wish to sign off on something that I don't believe in 100%. I also don't wish to opt out of the assignment as my partner is being graded on it and it seems unethical to leave him hanging.


So I propose submitting the essay titled: (Title),(Partner name and affiliation), (Anonymous, independent).



Is there any precedent to do this, or is there a strong reason not to? Do I use a pseudonym instead?


Any advice on alternatives or other points of view would be appreciated.



Answer



I do not know what was in the minds of those who set the exercise that is now causing trouble for you, but I find it hard to imagine any future career for you that will not involve collaborating with other people with whom you do not entirely agree. It certainly makes sense for an educational institution to set exercises to give you experience of that.


I have experienced another version of such an exercise in which you and the other person are given, say, 5 minutes, to state your case. A bell is then rung, and you are both required to present, fairly, for a further 5 minutes what the other side had previously argued.


It is an important life skill to listen to the other person's point of view, to understand it so fully that you could explain it to somebody else, and then, if possible, and it usually is, agree a statement of what you both agree on with clear indication of where you differ.


If I had set the task I would regard separate submissions from you and your colleague as failure to engage properly with the task.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...