Tuesday 30 October 2018

publications - Should I do anything if I am cited for something that wasn't in my paper?


I’ve just read a paper in which a previous paper of mine has been cited. The line in which the citation happens is something like:



It has been shown that technique X is successful in this problem [citation for my paper].



However, in my paper, I never mention technique X.


Should I do anything? The paper that cites mine is otherwise fine and really doesn’t need a reference for their use of technique X, since they spend a lot of time developing it anyway.



Answer



There really isn't any action worth pursuing here. You could write the editors and ask them to issue a corrigendum stating that the reference was incorrect, but you'll probably waste a lot of time and effort for what is likely a very minor issue.



No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...