Tuesday 5 November 2019

mycology - Species ID: Buckyball-like fungus



Previous research





  • A friend of mine shared a link of some beautiful fungi: http://imgur.com/a/Dii3H. I was intrigued by the curious critter below -- it seems to have honed the power of buckyball geometry, presumably much before we Humans ever did (search: Buckminsterfullerene to learn about a feat of chemical engineering).




  • Google reverse-image search almost got me the answer I needed, but no species name.




  • I've asked friends on Facebook with no answers yet.







Question


What is the name of this species of fungus?


enter image description here




Related Questions on Stack Biology





EDIT: I'm an idiot... the Imgur had species names, thus answering my question, post-mortem. Thanks @skymningen for pointing that out.



Answer




Looks very similar to Clathrus ruber fungus.


Be careful, it is poisonous.


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...