Thursday 14 November 2019

masters - How will study as a non-degree student affect my graduate admissions chances later?


I am considering applying to a computer science department at an esteemed US university, university A, as a non-degree seeking student. The reason is three-fold:



  • Determine if what I'm studying is truly what I want to do.

  • Do well in the classes to improve my chances of being accepted to their MS program in the near future.

  • Make connections with profs who might be a good academic/research advisor.



My goal is to eventually apply to a PhD program at university B.


Will the non-degree option help my chances at being accepted to university A's MS program?


Will the non-degree option hurt my chances at being accepted to university B's PhD program? Will they need to know about the non-degree if I'm eventually accepted to the degree option?



Answer



Will the non-degree option help my chances at being accepted to university A's MS program?


No.


Will the non-degree option hurt my chances at being accepted to university B's PhD program?


No.


Will they need to know about the non-degree if I'm eventually accepted to the degree option?



Do well in the course and then you'll be proud to share the transcript with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...