Friday 13 September 2019

phd - Statement of Purpose-How specific it should be?


I have a doubt regarding the Statement of Purpose for grad school.


Toward the end of the essay, should I specify the list of professors who I am interested to work with? For example:


"...Since research in this field is very active in Dr. A's, Dr. B’s, Dr. C’s groups at XXX University, I would like to apply to your program..."


My concern is: though doing so may indicate that I have read about the professors and their works (which is a plus I suppose), it is risky at the same time. What if Dr.[A-C] are not able to accept more people to their labs? Will the admission committee automatically disqualify my application in this case?


Hence, I would love to hear more advices from you of how to play it safe: whether such specifications are needed, and how to phrase them properly.


Thanks!




Answer



Disclaimer: I am still a graduate student and my experience is limited to my own application process and as a student member of my department's graduate admissions committee.


I have seen that specific reasons are almost always better than general reasons. When I was going through the application process, my SOP always mentioned current specific projects that my POI's were doing and how I could be an optimal choice for those projects in the near future with my background and current research. This approach seems to have worked well enough for me.


During multiple interviews in the application process, my SOP was often alluded to, especially in context with these specific projects and my fit with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...