Friday 27 September 2019

bibliometrics - Construct a network of citations


I had the thought that I should run a computation on my document to see things like: How many times I cite each source, how many times I cite each author etc. Then I thought that isn't enough. What if I cite A_foo, B_foo and C_foo, but both A_foo and B_foo cite C_foo. That is worth knowing. A graph of citations between the texts that I am citing will revel interesting information. For example nodes with out any parent, will generally indicate new and original ideas. While they may draw on other things, those things are distant enough from my work that I am not citing them. Nodes that have no links to any others, show that I am bringing in an idea from another subfield, perhaps.


This graph should be computable, I know google scholar maintains a list of almost everything I've cited, and for each thing lists who has cited them.


Has this been experimented with? Are there existing tools for the job? If there isn't I might mess around with some python and put something together.


My references are all in bibtex.


I would like to construct a graph of the citations.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...