Friday 9 August 2019

entomology - What is the name of the critter depicted in the attached image?



I found a critter on my bathroom towel. It's really tiny. Maybe 2 milimetres? I placed it on an envelope for the photograph.


Can someone identify what it is?


A critter I found on my bathroom towel.



Answer



That is the larva of a carpet beetle.



Larvae feed on natural fibers and can damage carpets, furniture, clothing and insect collections.



enter image description here


"Anthrenus verbasci - larva side (aka)" by André Karwath aka Aka on Wikimedia



Related question: What kind of caterpillar is this?, though I think that the larva photographed in that example is either of a different species or at a different time period within the larval stage.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...