Friday 23 August 2019

Does the time spent doing a PhD count towards research experience for job applications?


There's a job application (UK based) which says something about having to have around 2 or 3 years research experience, but not necessarily have obtained a PhD.


What if I have a PhD and 2.5 years research experience postdoc? Does the PhD also count towards the "research years" ? I increasingly view a PhD as "training" rather than "research"...


EDIT


Of course there is a research element to any PhD, but the emphasis is on training to become an effective researcher.



Answer



Excellent question! I put it down as experience anyway, but it seems to be shrugged off more often than not, as it was considered necessary as part of a degree. When I was applying for jobs, I got a call from one where the guy went over my resume over the phone, saying things like "And you don't have ANY industry experience? You didn't even do an intership? What were you doing over your summers?" to which I could only give the flabbergasted reply "Doing...research..."


So, yea, I'd definitely put it down as experience. But don't think that people will necessarily take it too seriously, sad to say.



No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...