Tuesday 8 January 2019

species identification - What is this hummingbird-like insect?



I just saw this insect collecting polen from bougainvillea blossoms on the Greek island of Skyros, in the Aegean sea. For future reference, this is in the middle of August and the sighting was at around 17:00.


a photo of the insect in question



a photo of the insect in question


a photo of the insect in question


a photo of the insect in question


I posted all 4 photos I took since the rude little thing didn't have the decency to sit still to let me get a clear shot. I'd say it was about 2cm long, certainly no more than 3.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...