Saturday 4 August 2018

writing - Do I need an introductory paragraph in SOP?


I'm about to write a SOP. I have sketched some points that I want convey through it, then I will develop them to their own paragraphs. Here they are:



  • I believe that I was born for scientific research.

  • I think I have been familiar to the scientific activities.

  • I want to shift the discipline to biology after spending 4 years in physics.



And I want them to stand in the beginning of their paragraph so that the readers can know which point they are reading. For my personal taste, I want to find another way to connecting the paragraphs without using transition words. For me, everything seems to be ok, I don't find any trouble to read it (I'm the one create it, of course). However, when I gave my sample of SOP to my mentor, she said that she didn't see the connection between them and made her feel lost. I have asked in writers.SE How to indicate the topic has been changed without using words?, and Chris Sunami suggests me to...



...include an introductory paragraph that summarizes your overall structure



While this is a great advice in general, I don't think that it will be applicable in SOPs, since you don't have enough space to write one.


So, do I need an introductory paragraph in SOP?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...