Friday 31 August 2018

botany - What does "chlorophyll photosynthesis peak" mean in relation to photon wavelength?


When reading about how green / leafy plants work, I saw that they have chlorophyll A & B, which allow the plant to use the energy from light by capturing and transforming.


When reading about Chlorophyll, I saw some charts showing "peak points" for each type for light wavelengths. Apparently, each chlorophyll type has both peak points.


Since from further reading I learn that plants can use all the light in the visible spectrum for photosynthesis, I'm wondering (my questions >>):




  • What do "peak points" of wavelength correspond to / stand for?

  • How does light peaking in red spectrum (say around 630nm) differ to (or affect plants) compared to light in red spectrum peaking at 680nm (which I gather is Chlorophyll A peak-ish)?

  • When same amount of radiant flux is projected to leaves on different wavelengths, one far from a chlorophyll peak the other near, which one gives more energy to plant and why?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...