Thursday 2 August 2018

tools - What are useful tips and tricks for collaborating remotely?


What techniques have you found to improve collaboration with a remote colleague, in particular to make it feel more like collaboration in person?


The majority of my collaborations are with colleagues outside of my state. The simplest model I've used is that we each write up certain proofs, and then eventually one of us organizes the various pieces into a draft of a paper, which gets passed back and forth via email until we agree that we're ready to submit. However, this typically feels quite different from collaborating in person. One technique that I've used with surprising success is to skype with my colleague. He was actually able to write on the chalkboard so that I could read it. What techniques have worked best for you?



Answer



One of the hardest parts of remote collaboration is making sure everyone is on the same page. Agreeing on work flow in advance is critical. To me the most important thing is that everyone has a good understanding of the roles and expectations of the individuals. A good timeline, that is flexible, is also very useful. Agreeing upon software, programming, and writing style issues at the outset is also useful.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...